You guys, I can’t believe how fast this pregnancy is going! I feel like I post a weekly baby post like every day. Not that I mind thought, cause I’m already SO ready to meet this little person!!
This week is a milestone for Baby, because he/she is FINALLY an entire pound in weight! Crazy to think how much Baby still has to gain, but I feel like hitting 1 lb is kind of a big deal.
Tomorrow we go for another ultrasound, since Baby was faced down and back during our 20 week ultrasound (due to me laying in a hospital bed with a kidney stone for 2 days right beforehand). So hopefully next week I’ll have some fun pictures of our little one to share! Here are some other updates on Baby this week:
- Baby is the size of an eggplant, weighing about 1 lb, and measuring about a foot long.
- Rapid eye movements (REM) have begun to occur during sleep, and he/she is sleeping and awake on somewhat of a schedule, instead of at sporadic times. (I’m still trying to learn his/her schedule, but he/she is always awake and very active right as I’m trying to go sleep at night!)
- Baby’s brain, specifically the cerebrum, which is responsible for memory, motor skills and intellect, is going to be in a big growth spurt the next few weeks, as baby’s brain prepares to conduct communication between cells. (Basically, Baby’s future nerd status is beginning in the next few weeks) ;)
- Baby’s organs and bones are still visible through the skin, since it’s still really thin, but as he/she continues to gain fat through the rest of pregnancy, the bones and organs will be less and less visible.
- Baby can detect light and dark, even though his/her eyelids are still shut, and if a light is too bright, he/she may make a sudden movement away from it. (We haven’t tested this theory with a flashlight yet, but I bet that’s something Stuart will want to do) ;)
It’s amazing to me the better and better I can feel Baby’s full-body movements, instead of just kicks, and at times there’s a really hard spot on my belly that’s most likely his/her lil butt sticking out! So fun :)
As I think about this little life growing stronger and stronger inside me, and how fast his/her due date is coming up, I can’t help think about what it’s going to be like when he/she is with us on the outside, instead of in the protection of my womb. I know that even in my womb, I am not in complete control of his/her life, but it still feels a little bit like I’m playing a part in their protection right now.
But ultimately, whether in my womb or in my arms, true protection comes from the Lord. Every mother wants to protect their children from every evil, and it’s hard to think about the reality that this little one is going to come up against opposition at some point in their life. But the only hope we can cling to is knowing his/her Heavenly Father loves them so much more than I ever could, as hard as that is to imagine with the amount my heart grows with every little kick.
I love this little one so much already, and I hope that he/she grows up to experience the same kind of love from many, many people throughout their life. I hope they learn at an early age what love means, and how to love others the way they are loved. But no matter what, the best way that I can love him/her and protect them is to constantly lift them up in prayer to the Lord, and trust that because He loves them so much, being held in His arms is the best protection available.
“[Love] always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.”
1 Corinthians 13:7-8